Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Long Obedience… In the Same Direction


                Pastor and professor, Eugene Peterson, has a book by the same title. As much as my Body was built for speed (at least I tell myself that) over short distances rather than endurance over long distances, the Christian life is certainly a marathon. Our senior pastor, Troy Dobbs, recently shared at one of our men’s classes on the process of salvation, and it reminded me of the need to be training our minds on what we believe. He referenced Hebrews 2:3, “how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation…” A great salvation indeed, but do I truly appreciate what God has done because I am growing to understand it better, or simply because I have my get out of hell free card?
                As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I like to reflect on how I’m doing in three areas of my spiritual walk; the head, the heart, and the hands. My heart, in the sense that I know I need to acknowledge my brokenness daily and allow God to continue to transform my will to his. But the head is different and critical to transforming my heart. If I’m not gaining in knowledge and understanding of what God has done for me and what I as a Christian believe, then my heart is more likely to remain stagnant as well.  
                But as I read theology (I recommend Reform Theology), attend seminars, conferences, or men’s classes I challenge my head, which in turn informs my heart. You can look at it as going on the offensive of taking every thought captive by giving your mind great truths of the faith to think and reflect on. For those who find it a challenge to read, there are great pod-casts and audio books on great theology. Use these to expand and deepen your understanding of what God through his Son Jesus Christ has done for you.
                As you do this, you will not only find yourself being more devoted to this God of love, grace, and mercy, but also wanting to put your hands to work in advancing the kingdom. We need men to man up and willing to get their hands dirty for the cause of Christ. Ironically, a great understanding of the core tenets of the Faith offers great motivation to put our hands to work. When men have all three, the head, the heart, and hands active in following and serving God, the long obedience doesn’t seem quite so long. Blessings to you with staying in the same direction of the call God has on your life.

Recommended authors
                John Piper
                Mark Driscoll
                R.C. Sproul

Recommended websites
                theresurgence.com
                nicenecouncil.com

For the Cause,

Pastor Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment